Family

Family

Saturday, October 3, 2015

This last week as been quite interesting. I have learned more about what is called systems theory. A system includes various part, for example in a family you have a mother, father, children, grandparents, aunts, uncles and so forth. Each individual plays and important and significant role. To analyze the family system, it must be observed as a whole, rather than just by its individual parts. Each member effects the others.Within a certain system there may exist what is called subsystems. This may be a mother and a daughter who work together o maintain the system of the family which includes a father who is not supportive. Each one of us are par of a system, whether it be the family, or a class in school, at work, or in church. We all are part of a system and we effect one another.

The exchange theory is often thought of as "you owe me one." We want to give less than we receive in a relationship. Or we always expect something of equal or greater value in return. For example, if I offer a ride to a roommate to the grocery store one week, I might expect that she takes me the following week, in order to pay me back for what I gave her in the first place.

The symbolic interaction theory states that for every action, or experience there is a symbolic meaning behind it that normally stems from both parties past experiences. For example, if I enter my roommate's bedroom and sit by her side, for me that might mean that I want to talk and share something with her. However she might be annoyed and not receive it in the way that I hope she does. I feel that our lives and relationships are full of symbolic interactions. As I have gone through my week, I have observed more of this theory. It's kind of fun!

The conflict theory states that in any system or relationship, each party has differences, or rather their likes and dislikes are different, their preferences and opinions are all unique. This results in the both parties influencing each other, and conflict may arise.

This week has helped me to see the different ways in week we act and influence each other. It has helped me to understand different aspects of relationships, whether they be within the family, with a friend, co-worker or neighbor. Learning is fun! Especially as I am able to see it and apply it in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment